Sunday, January 24, 2016

~Relaxing Retreat~

Pin It

Discovering what inspired my client's Master Bath remodel was quite easy.  They wanted a relaxing retreat.  A nostalgic place full of wonderful memories, where they could unwind after a long day's work.  However, even though we determined their vision rather quickly, there were still several things that they could not envision.  They needed the help of a designer!  

The first thing that was puzzling to them, was how were they going to create the tile layout.  They knew they wanted a "wainscoting" tile height to carry into the toilet area and parallel to the vanity.  They had already selected their tile, cabinet color, and their idea of paint.  But how would it look?  At that point, I decided to do a 3D perspective rendering of the space.   This rendering was exactly what they needed.  I wanted them to know exactly what to expect.  I wanted them to love it!  

There was going to be A LOT of tile, and all the same collection, and color.  This gave me a perfect opportunity to use patterns to give the space visual interest.  We ended up using 18" tiles on the floor in a straight lay.  This would make the space feel larger.  From the floor to 42" up the wall we used a 12" tile diagonally, with a 6" 2x2 mosaic accent strip.  With nine foot ceilings, we decided to make the space feel more open and allow the light to shine in and out of the shower.  We achieved this by creating a 5" tile column starting at 80" high up to the ceiling.  Oh yes, and I can't forget the niches!  They are perfectly placed for my client's needs, and add a beautiful accent to the space.  The tile design was one of a kind.  I am so grateful I was able to be apart of it.  

The next matter of business was the make-up vanity area.  The lighting placement was key in creating this space.  We needed to illuminate her face, and the all so common vanity down light placed above the mirror was not going to cut it.  Side lights were ideal in this situation to eliminate shadows and provide an appropriate amount of light to the task area. 

Now that this project is complete, I will wait patiently for another client just like them.  They were amazing to work with, and appreciated my creativity.  Despite the many install challenges they endured during this project, they ended up with a beautiful space that they will enjoy for years to come.  







 




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Christina! I just saw your incredible bathroom design in the Lowe's creative ideas magazine and I HAD to find more of your work. My hubby and I have very, very different design preferences, but we are both in LOVE with your design. This is BIG, lol! Thanks for sharing your creativity and being such a wonderful inspiration to us! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reaching out! I'm so happy that my design was able to help you and your husband narrow down a design! Good luck with your project! (Please ignore my previous responses if you saw them, my auto-spell was not working out real well! Lol)

      Delete